Everything started the day before Halloween, October 30th. Amy and I were on the way to Oxford to watch Auburn take on Ole Miss. It was our first Auburn game of the year. This is not typical for us! Most years, we go to 8+ games. However, since starting a business, our funds have been tighter than normal and football is not a cheap hobby. Our time is also a premium and I’ve been traveling a good bit this year. Well, we decided at the last minute to go to Oxford for the day.

Pumpkin closeup

Our plan was to leave at about 9am so that we could enjoy the town. However, Amy had some rather terrible migraines the night before and we ended up leaving a good bit later than we planned. We were on our way and it looked like we would get to Oxford about 2:30 (2 1/2 hours prior to kickoff) so we were still in good shape. About 40 miles outside of Tupelo, things got pretty interesting. Amy saw something in the road and swerved to avoid it. We originally thought it was a bag but it was actually a dog and it was alive!

Rear end

Amy stopped the car and we both ran back to the dog. It was definitely alive and very hurt. We could tell that it’s back leg was badly broken and it couldn’t even get out of the road so it just laid in the middle of the highway with one car after another avoiding it. It wasn’t a large dog so I walked out to it and very gingerly picked it up. Frankly, I had no idea what to do but I could leave it there to be run over again. It was bleeding a good bit, but it didn’t look too bad. I took it to the car and Amy laid out her jacket. I put it in the back seat and Amy started looking up the number for an emergency vet.

Closeup of paws

Finally, one of the vets called us back and we headed towards Tupelo with me driving and Amy comforting the dog. We had no idea what shape the dog was in but it seemed alert which we hoped was a good sign. We arrived at the vet in about 45 minutes. The vet got the puppy from the car and brought it inside. She examined him and said that both right legs were broken, but it looked like maybe there were no other internal injuries. Now, we were faced with a big decision. The vet informed us that it was going to be expensive to save the puppies life and that we should consider having it put down.

We asked several questions about long term outlook, total costs, quality of life, etc. It seemed like the only thing in the way of saving it’s life was money. The total costs were expected to be around $1,000 and as much as $2,000. The problem with this was Amy and I just don’t have this kind of money available anymore. Starting a company has a way of using up savings! But everything else looked like it could be handled. The dog was likely to recover fully eventually. It was a puppy too! It has a few nutritional issues and worms but nothing that can’t be handled.

Amy talked it over and we just couldn’t have it put down, but we really didn’t have the extra money. I finally had a thought. What if we could find a lot of small donors to help? Friends, family, dog lovers, etc. So out came the credit card and we told the vet to do what had to be done!